Thursday, June 10, 2010

Farmer's Market Spring Veggie Soup


It's beautiful spring weather here in Northern California. Temperatures have been in the 70's and 80's! Every Saturday I go to our local Morgan Hill (my town's) Farmer's Market. I'm lucky that it's only one block from where I live! There is a wide variety of organic and pesticide free locally grown vegetables. Today I decided to make a spring vegetable soup! Ahhhhh, it turned out so yummy! I just made up the recipe as I went along, throwing in a little of this and a little of that! I must say that it turned out so good that I decided to write it down (before I forget) lol, and share it with you all!

Farmer's Market Spring Veggie Soup:

2 Tblsp Olive Oil
4-5 Cloves Fresh Garlic
1 Med Onion chopped
1 Bell Pepper chopped (I used half green/half red)
3 Celery Stalks chopped (1 cup)
5 Carrots chopped (2 cups)
1 Tbsp dried Italian Seasonings
1 tsp Salt (I used ground sea salt from Dollar Tree)
1/2 tsp Pepper (I used ground pepper from Dollar Tree)

Saute' all of this until onions are clear and then add the following:

3- 32oz cartons of Chicken or Veg Broth (3 Quarts)
(I used Trader Joe's Free Range Organic Chicken Broth)
1- 14 oz can Organic diced Tomatoes
1- 6 oz can Tomatoes Paste
1/2 cup White Wine (optional)
(I used Two Buck Chuck Chardonnay from Trader Joe's)
3 Large Potatoes cut into chunks
1/2 head of Cabbage cut into chunks
1 tsp Dried Dill (or fresh)
1 tsp Sugar

Bring this to boil and simmer for about 10 minutes until veggies start to soften. Then add the following:

1 med. Zucchini cut into chunks
1- 14 oz can of White Cannelloni Beans drained and rinsed
Juice of one Lemon
2 Tbsp of a chopped Fresh Herb (I used Rosemary)
(Any herb of your choice will do... Basil, Cilantro, Thyme, etc...)

Simmer about 10 - 15 more minutes and serve with crusty bread! So healthy and so delicious!

No comments: