Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Grandma Molly's Zucchini Squash

When I was growing up one of my favorite dishes was my grandma Molly's zucchini with peppers, onions, garlic and tomato sauce. It was her father Pedro's recipe. I actually ate this the night before I gave birth to my daughter and woke up all night long with "indigestion" which turned out to be labor pains! lol! Last night my friend Jose brought me a big bag of organic zucchini, yellow summer squash and green peppers so I couldn't resist making a pot even though it was 9pm. Hey, it's always better the next day anyway.... so I'm sitting here eating some right now as I type... it's so good with sourdough toast! Here is the old family recipe! Enjoy!

2 Tbsp Olive oil
3-4 cloves fresh garlic
1 med yellow onion (cut in half and sliced)
1 large green pepper (sliced into strips)
1 tsp of Italian seasoning
2 pounds zucchini (or mix of zucchini and yellow squash) Sliced thick
Salt and Pepper
2 8oz cans of Hunts tomato sauce
Capers or sliced green olives on top as a garnish (optiional)

In a dutch oven (big pot) over med high heat saute' garlic, peppers and onions until soft. Add sliced squash, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir and place a lid on the pan for 7-10 minutes. Then stir again and cover for another 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, stir and cover for another 5-7 minutes. Now it's ready to eat with some garlic bread. You can garnish with a few capers or sliced green olives on top (very "tapas"). You may also serve over rice or pasta with a little Parmesan cheese! Smells and tastes delicious!

No comments: