Thursday, July 13, 2006

Too Hot to Cook!

Well yes, it is summer and as my Dad would say, "it's a bot hitch out there"! Just switch the first letters around and you'll know what I mean, lol! Anyway, it's just too hot to cook or to eat anything that's really hot and cooked. No more chicken soup, even if it does relieve anxiety. Hmm, what can I make that's cheap, filling and healthy and could also be a chic dish to be taken to a BBQ or picnic. Pasta Salad you say? Okay I didn't say "low carb". A few years ago during the "low fat" trend this would have been just the ticket. I think the key is to add a lot of healthy veggies along with "some" pasta...like about a pound, ha ha! I've recently discovered a new trick to making the pasta salad more flavorful. Instead of using bottled Italian dressings as I've done in the past, I now use olive oil and balsamic vinegar with my dollar store Italian herbs. Also, you can add some cooked (leftover) chicken, beef or fish, whatever. This adds protien and makes a complete meal. This might sound weird but I opened a can of tuna, drained it, broke it up with a fork and sprinkled some on top of my pasta salad. It took on a great flavor when mixed with the oil, vinegar, herbs and pasta and provided that extra protien for a complete meal. Okay here's my recipe...

"Cheap Chic" Pasta Salad

1 lb (16oz) of cooked pasta - any kind ($.50 @ Dollar Store)
1/4 cup chopped Sun Dried Tomatoes in oil ($3.99 Jar @ Costco)*
1 or 2 fresh chopped Tomatoes
1/4 cup (about 1/2 a medium) Onion - any kind, white/purple/green
2 or 3 cloves of minced Garlic or 1 - 2 tsp of Garlic Powder (Dollar Store)
2 tsp Italian Herb Seasoning (Dollar Store)
1/4 cup (about 1/2 medium) chopped Bell Pepper - any color
1/4 cup (or small can) chopped/drained Black Olives - or green
1 crown of chopped Broccoli (raw or steamed)**
2 stalks chopped Celery (mince some leaves and add for extra flavor)
3 - 4 tbls Olive Oil (or other salad oil that you have on hand)***
3 - 4 tbls Balsamic Vinegar (or other vinegar that you have on hand)***
Salt and Pepper
Parmesean Cheese sprinkled on top (I used leftover packets from the pizza joint)

Put all of these ingredients (in this order) into a large bowl. Mix together with your bare hands (washed of course). Then taste and adjust seasoning/oil/vinegar. Sprinkle with cheese. Add any meat or fish on top and you have a beautiful summer meal!

* Sun dried tomatoes are optional but what a deal @ $3.99 for a large
jar at Costco. I use them in everything (pasta, rice, veggies, salads).
You may substitute this for a couple of spoons full of the Classico Pesto (any kind) in a jar.

** A crown of Broc is "a head" or "a bunch", whatever. It's about a
pound. I steam mine in the Micro for 3 1/2 minutes till tender, let it cool,
chop and add to salad.

*** You can use more or less oil and vinegar according to your taste.
I never measure, I just drizzle and sprinkle. So I'm kinda guessing
at these measurements.

Extra Note: You can use any kind of cheese that you have
or eliminate the cheese all together. I always save the packets of Parm.
cheese from the pizza joint because it can be so expensive
to buy this cheese and why waste those little packets anyway?!

Enjoy!
Stacey

No comments: