Friday, June 30, 2006

Cheap & Healthy Fiesta Dinner!

Tonight we had a "Cheap & Healthy Fiesta" Dinner! I found a package of 10 flour tortillas for a buck at the dollar store! Also at Albertson's (next door) I found a large can of spicy "Rosarita" refried beans for $1.50 and an 8oz package of Tillamook cheddar cheese on sale for $2.50. I zapped the beans in the microwave and warmed the tortillas in foil in the oven @ 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. I grated the cheese and opened/drained a can of .50 cent corn (dollar store). I bought an 8oz container of sour cream and a small bottle of Tapatio hot sauce for .99 cents each. I chopped up some fresh onions, tomatoes and purple cabbage from the farmer's market (cheap). We put together some awesome little gourmet taco/burrito's. I made a box of spanish rice-a-roni ($1.00 on sale) and we had that too. I bought a bag of tortilla chips on sale for $1.99 and made some homemade salsa (recipe below). This was an awesome little feast and there was plenty of food to feed my son's band mates after their rehearsal. This is a great meal for hungry teen's and it's vegetarian which always wins points!

Salsa Recipe:

1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (Italian style is best)
1-2 fresh tomatoes, chopped (adds fresh texture)
1/2 cup chopped onion (white, green, purple, whatever)
2 fresh jalepeno peppers, seeded & chopped (or an 8oz can chopped)
1 handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
A few shots of Tapatio (or other hot sauce)
A couple of splashes of vinegar (I use red wine vinegar)
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp Cumin
Salt and pepper

Hand mix in a "salsa blender" or pulse in a food processor or blender. Or, finely chop all ingredients by hand.

Enjoy,
Stacey

No comments: