Wednesday, February 15, 2006

To Market To Market!


Grocery shopping can be a real challenge when you don't have much money. Especially when you have champagne taste on a "no name" brand budget. I like the finer things in life like the best cuts of meat, freshest fruits and vegetable, gourmet breads and yes, good wine. So how do I shop on a tight (very tight) budget without feeling depressed and deprived? Well I've developed a few methods that I will share with you. First of all I pay close attention to the local grocery store ads that come in the mail each week. Then I plan my menus accordingly. I shop at the local farmer's market for fruits and vegetables which can literally be half the price of those in the grocery stores. When I have enough money up front, I stock up on meat by buying the large packages at Costco and breaking them up into smaller (approx. 1 lb.) packages using ziplock bags. I store these in the freezer for future meals. A large package of burger yields about six, 1 lb. packages. A large package of chicken breasts yields about three packages with four breasts per package. The price per pound is significantly lower than buying the small packages at the grocery store. Those of you on monthly fixed incomes can stock up on meat for the month. Then shop weekly for veges and sides, etc.. (on sale of course). I happen to love sourdough bread but wow, it can be expensive so I get the fresh baked loafs from the bakery at the grocery store for a third the cost of packaged breads. It stays fresh for about three or four days, due to no preservatives. I slice pieces by hand and make little rustic gourmet sandwiches. I also love to cook with wine. Wine seems to add another demention of flavor and richness to many recipes. The cheapest and best tasting wine that I've found for the price is Gallo Twin Valley (Chardonay, Merlot or Cabernet) in the 1.5 liter (large) bottles for about $6.99. This wine is great to cook with and is also very drinkable, while you're cooking! These are just a few tips that I hope will help you when doing your "cheap chic" grocery shopping. TTFN (ta ta for now) Stacey