Saturday, February 11, 2006

What is the deal with Goodwill? It's not!

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Goodwill thinks it's a boutique? I swear I can find brand new stuff at Ross, TJ Max, Target and Mervyn's for cheaper than the Goodwill. I feel like boycotting this place! Especially considering what happened to me a few months ago at one of their stores. I was browsing around when I came across a cute (9x11) framed picture of a teacup. I'm not that into teacups, but for 6 bucks, what the heck. I can hang it in my back bedroom or bathroom or "re-gift" it or something. Anyway, so I go to the register feeling all proud of my new found treasure. I wait in line behind about six people (one who doesn't smell so good). I finally get up to the register and the lady behind the counter gives me the once over and says "Oh no, this price tag must be wrong". I say (in my nicest voice) "Oh, well that's the price tag that is on there". She says, "hold on a minute" then she makes a phone call to the back room. Soon a little man comes out (looking like an oompa loompa) and takes the picture from me without a word and returns to the back room. I stand there waiting for about 5 minutes while this lady helps other customers in the mean time. Then the little man returns and without a word hands me the picture with a new price tag, for twice as much! Then the lady behind the counter says "There, that's better". Better? Better for who?! Anyway I should have just said right then and there, "forget about it" (in my best mafia accent), but instead I bought it because it was still a pretty good deal. But the whole situation just irritates me! I should have just walked away on the principle of it. Anyway, the bottom line is this cheap chic diva is not advocating the Goodwill as a cheap chic source! Except for maybe the occasional clothing items such as jeans, classic shirts, etc... or a cheaply priced houseware (but remember the oompa loompa can change the price at any time). You're better off going to a flea market, other thrift stores (St. Vincent de Paul's is great), garage sales and the above named retail stores! You certainly won't be seeing me at "The Will" anytime soon! Happy shopping ya'll!

2 comments:

Becky and Stacey said...

Testing comment function.

Becky and Stacey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.